Thursday, August 18, 2016

Growth Mindset

We have been exploring what having a 'Growth Mindset' means. Today we had a provocation that challenged their thinking. Children were presented with a challenge - to create a replica of the cardboard model I put on the table. They could not touch, or pick it up the model. Their cardboard rectangle had to remain 'whole', but could it be cut and folded. They were not allowed glue or stick pieces on. They were then left to problem solve while I observed reactions and recorded student comments for us to reflect on later.


At first, there was an eagerness in the classroom and an air of enthusiasm. Within the first 5 minutes comments included;
"It looks so hard."
"Seriously...how was that made?"
"Great...this is a challenge!"
"I'm not sure how to do it, but I think I have an idea."

After 10 minutes we still had no solution, and the comments and level of enthusiasm began to change;
"Only a magician could do this!"
"It's impossible!"
"I am so bad at this."
"I just don't get it."
"It is getting boring because we don't know how to do it!"
"Ms Karyn is good at it but we are not."

Twenty minutes later several children had stopped trying. Several were persevering and trying different solutions. A couple had decided making paper planes was a better option! Comments now included;
"I'm giving up!"
"If I could use tape I could do it"
"I tried my best but I can't do it"
"I quit!"
"I never want to do this ever again!"
"I will never do it, it's the most impossible thing ever!"

So what was the point? Well...children need to learn to struggle! As adults we all know the most rewarding experiences in life often involve significant struggle and sacrifice at some stage. Learning is challenging and we need to develop resilience, perseverance, and the ability to learn from their mistakes in order to keep moving forward.
When nobody had come up with a solution we watched some clips on growth mindset. Then we discussed what it means. Student responses included;
 "It means not giving up"
"Believing that you can get better" 
"Thinking that if you work hard you will do it"
"Keeping on trying"
"Knowing you can learn from your mistakes"


When we revisited their comments, students looked at how they could turn their 'fixed mindset' comments into 'growth mindset' ones. They did a great job with this!

We still have no solution. I wonder if any of our parents have the perseverance and thinking skills required to figure it out? I will post the solution over the weekend, when you have had a chance to ponder!




No comments:

Post a Comment